Nightboat Books Internship Program The Nightboat Books team is pleased to announce our open call for the Fall 2022 independent publishing internship program based in Brooklyn, NY! The program is designed to engage interns in all aspects of literary publishing: editorial, marketing, publicity, online and community engagement, fundraising and development, and other aspects of the publishing industry. This program is designed to be a dynamic experience, offering the intern a valuable overview of publishing, while also getting opportunities to focus on assignments that interest them. The selected intern will be paid $15 an hour, receive free books, mentorship, professional recommendations & a jumping off point for a career in independent, literary publishing. The program will last from the beginning of September to mid-December.
Nightboat Books, a nonprofit organization, seeks to develop audiences for writers whose work resists convention and transcends boundaries, by publishing books rich with poignancy, intelligence and risk. We are committed to publishing complicated work by a diverse group of writers. We encourage people of all backgrounds, ages, races, ethnicities, gender and sexual identities, and disability statuses to apply.
- 10 hours a week, partly remote and partly in person (following safety guidelines) at our Greenpoint office, for approximately 3 months
- Support creation and maintenance of digital content, including the Nightboat website, blog, newsletter, social media, and more
- Support in planning book launch events and logistics such as venue, lineup and promotion
- Proofread, copyedit and fact check manuscripts and publicity packets
- Conduct research on reviewers, magazines, venues
- Read our forthcoming books and draft pitches for outlets
- Assist with administrative tasks, including preparing and executing book mailings, maintaining database records, copying, filing, and sorting mail
- Attend and participate in staff meetings
- Live in New York and can travel to Greenpoint once a week
- Passionate commitment to literature and desire to support Nightboat authors
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team while on a deadline
- Creative problem solving abilities as well as excitement about the fast paced world of publishing
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, any audio or video editing tools, photography, and videography are helpful, but not required