Nightboat Books Internship Program The Nightboat Books team is pleased to announce our open call for the Fall 2019 independent publishing internship program! The program is designed to engage interns in all aspects of literary publishing: editorial, marketing, publicity, online and community engagement, fundraising and development, and other aspects of the publishing industry. This program is designed to be a dynamic experience, offering each intern a valuable overview of publishing, while also getting opportunities to focus on assignments that interest them. Positions are given a modest stipend, free books, mentorship, professional recommendations & a jumping off point for aspiring writers, editors, booksellers and publishers into the world of independent, literary publishing. Nightboat Books, a nonprofit organization, seeks to develop audiences for writers whose work resists convention and transcends boundaries, by publishing books rich with poignancy, intelligence and risk. We are committed to publishing complicated work by a diverse group of writers. We encourage people of all backgrounds, ages, races, ethnicities, gender and sexual identities, and disability statuses to apply. Responsibilities:
- 16 hours a week at our Greenpoint office, for approximately 3 months.
- Read and evaluate, submissions of prose and poetry.
- Support creation and maintenance of digital content, including the Nightboat website, blog, newsletter, social media, and more.
- Support in planning book launch events and logistics such as venue, lineup and promotion.
- Proofread, copyedit and fact check manuscripts & publicity packets.
- Conduct research on reviewers, magazines, venues.
- Read our forthcoming books and draft pitches for outlets.
- Assist with administrative tasks, including preparing and executing mailings, maintaining database records, copying, filing, and sorting mail.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Passionate commitment to literature and desire to support Nightboat authors
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team while on a deadline
- Creative problem solving abilities as well as excitement about the fast paced world of publishing
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, any audio or video editing tools, photography, and videography are helpful, but not required.
PROSE READING PERIOD
We're thrilled to announce that Nightboat Books is considering prose manuscripts from July 1-Aug 15 2019. Please familiarize yourself with Nightboat Books’s editorial affinities by checking out our titles. Buy our books! Read them!
We're looking for innovative prose projects, including inter-genres/hybrid works, book-length essays, and/or manuscripts of experimental fiction or nonfiction. No strict forms. No limits.
Your manuscript might include poetry and poetic sections, but we're not considering full length poetry collections at this time.
There is a $15 fee to cover administrative costs.
Please include the following with your manuscript through Submittable:
(a) your name and contact information (b) a short professional biography (c) a description of the book/project
We look forward to reading your work.
Submission Period: July 1-August 15th.
Nightboat Books, a nonprofit organization, seeks to develop audiences for writers whose work resists convention and transcends boundaries, by publishing books rich with poignancy, intelligence and risk. We are committed to publishing complicated work by a diverse group of writers. We encourage people of all backgrounds, ages, races, ethnicities, gender and sexual identities, and disability statuses to apply.